Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Next Step


As junior year is coming to a quick close, I am starting to really think about senior year and college. Senior year is the easy part. That’s just another year of high school, another year of classes with the friends you’ve been with for the past four years. But then you have to throw in college. Thinking about college; that’s the hard/scary/nerve-wracking part. It’s the next step.

          College is a big decision. Most likely the biggest decision we will have made in our life so far. Because it is the next four years of your life, it is more than just another school. It is where you are going to live and spend all of your time. It is where you are going to earn a degree to earn a living for the rest of your life. It is where you are going to start the next chapter of your life.

          I have always wanted to go out of state for college. Mainly because I think that is a different experience and opportunity that a lot of people don’t take either because it is more expensive or they want to be closer to home. But not me. I want to go far away from home, preferably somewhere warm. Well, at least that’s what I thought. Until, I started thinking about what I wanted to major in instead of just location. And when I realized the best school for me in state was Iowa State, I will honestly say that I wasn’t completely thrilled by the idea of it. I grew up in a family of Hawkeye fans. But when visited Iowa State it was hard not to like it. I don’t know if I liked it so much just because it was the first college I visited or not. But I cannot tell a lie. It is a very nice campus. It is really pretty and feels inviting to everyone. Also because it is known for its design school, it has great academics and opportunities for what I want to do for the rest of my life. Basically the only thing that visit did for me was make the decision of whether I should go out of state or not much harder. I still want to visit more schools to see if I like them better but Iowa State is definitely a contender for where I want to go.

          It is scary to think that soon we will be filling out college applications. It seems like just yesterday we were just walking into Kennedy for the first day of freshman year. But nonetheless, the time is coming and it is definitely an exciting experience. And I am ready to see what is in the near future. I am ready to take the next step.

(469 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment