Thursday, April 18, 2013

POEM--The Blues of the Grey's


The Blues of the Grey’s

A waterfall of tears rush down my face.
Yet, it’s just another day at Seattle Grace.
Why Shonda Rhimes, why?

When ferry crashes,
Meredith Grey almost drowns.
Why Shonda Rhimes, why?

George enlists in the Army as a trauma surgeon.
Going to tell his mom, he gets hit by a bus.
Why Shonda Rhimes, why?

An angry widow attempts to kill Derek.
Ends up shooting at least 20 others.
Why Shonda Rhimes, why?

Team of doctors flies to separate twins.
Mark Sloan and Lexi Grey die.
Why Shonda Rhimes, why?

Christina Yang gets PTSD.
TWICE.
Why Shonda Rhimes, why?

Meredith announces she is pregnant.
Miscarriages in the same day.
Why Shonda Rhimes, why?

The main characters, with which we fall in love,
Are taken from us time and time again.
Why Shonda Rhimes, why?



Line 1: Metaphor: “A waterfall of tears…” is a metaphor because it is comparing tears to a waterfall. And instead of saying that the tears are like a waterfall, I am saying that they are a waterfall making it a metaphor instead of simile.
Line 2: Allusion: Referring to Seattle Grace Hospital in Grey’s Anatomy by using the names of all the characters. I am doing this to show how ironic the show and life can be at times.
Line 3: Apostrophe: “Why Shonda Rhimes, why?” I am asking Shonda Rhimes (the writer of Grey's Anatomy) why she is killing off all the good characters. I do this to show my concern and anger at her for all of my favorite characters leaving. By doing this it makes it seem as if I am really talking to Shonda.
Line 4-5: Irony: Meredith is a doctor going to help victims of a ferry crash, but instead she almost dies. Irony is really throughout the whole poem becuase that is what the show is like. For people who don't know the show they might think that these things are alluding to the irony in life. And while it is, I put in the irony because I wanted to show everyone what the show is really like and how frustrating it can be.

Line 6: Anaphora: the repeating of “Why Shonda Rhimes, why?” I did this because I wanted to emphasize my frustration and confusion as to why we fall in love with all the characters and then they are killed or go crazy.
Line 8: Visual imagery: instead of just saying that George dies, I gave imagery of him getting hit by a bus. I did this because it portrays the craziness of the show and adds comedy (out of context/for non viewers). When I think about this scene in my head all I can is just wait what? Is that a thing? Did that really just happen? And that's what I want the readers of the poem to think as well because it ties the whole poem together in really asking Shonda Rhimes why she does this to these characters.
Line 22: Inversion: I used the inversion here because the poem was coming to an end and I felt like it was my concluding thought and it added a softer, heartbreaking end to the poem. It also kind of alludes to how each episode ends because it is filled with people running around a hospital all day and then at the end they wrap it all together with Meredith's voice playing over the last scenes.

5 comments:

  1. This is a very nice poem! There is this one particular color that looks blue... but then the more you look at it, it looks grey! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a fellow lover of Grey's, this poem really hit the core of all fans. Plus the title is so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TRUTH.
    I stopped watching Grey's after about 3 seasons, but I sometimes think I want to watch them all on DVD and catch up. It's that melodrama that I sometimes find RIDICULOUS...but also addictive! This is why the last line of each stanza kind of makes me laugh...because it's crazy and true!! Also, could there be any Grey's fans out there who have not felt this way about the show's storylines? I think not!!

    ReplyDelete