Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Get-togethers


Family reunions. You would think it would be a fun get together with family members that you have known your whole life. Wrong. Most of the time, you don’t know half the people. And the younger you are, the less people you know.

          According to urbandictionary.com the definition of family reunion is “The awkward get together your parents make you go to where you stand around for hours with random relatives, some of which you either despise or don't actually know.” This definition is how I feel whenever there is a family gathering.

          This past weekend I went to my grandpa’s 80th birthday party. It was much how a family reunion would be like. My grandpa, obviously, knew everyone there. Then my parents and aunts and uncles knew most, if not all, of them. Then there are the grandkids. We all probably knew about 20 people – our closest relatives.

          If that situation doesn’t scream boring, then I don’t know what does. What I don’t get it is why our parents make us go to these events. My parents always use the excuse, “Because I said so.” But no. That’s not a good enough reason for me. If I wanted to go see a bunch of people I don’t know, then I could go to a mall. At least that way I wouldn’t be bored out of my mind and wouldn’t have to drive for hours.

          Some people think that it would be a good way to meet the rest of your family. But honestly, you aren’t going to walk up to someone you don’t know and have a conversation about your entire life. What really ends up happening is you hanging out with your closest family, then periodically having your parents call you over to talk to someone you haven’t seen in years or ever.

          I understand why my parents make me go to these events. But I still don’t like the fact that they are boring and I don’t know anyone. It is a part of all of our lives, though. I guess we should just get used to the fact that we have to go now.

(360 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment