Sunday, April 21, 2013

Different Sports


I have played volleyball for 6 years. In comparison to a lot of other people, that’s not very long. But when you think about it, 6 years is close to a third of my life time. And playing both school and club has taken up the majority of my time since fifth grade and most of the memories of my middle school and high school years. I started playing volleyball because my cousin, Jacqui, played it when she was in high school and when I was in fifth grade I wanted to be just like her. So what better way than to play the sports she did? Jacqui also played tennis, so freshman year I played. Then sophomore year I was hurt and didn’t go out and finally, this year I am playing again.

          So far this year, we have had two tennis meets and one of them we didn’t really play to win, we just played for fun. It was like a practice. Then this week we had another one. Because I played freshman year, you’d think that I would know what to expect when it came to conducting a tennis meet. Well you’re wrong. I knew that I wasn’t going to be playing very much because tennis is a slower sport and there are only so many people and courts that can run at a time. I wasn’t playing singles so I knew I was going to have to wait for at least one round of matches to be over. Okay, no big deal. But wait, now I have to find a different partner because mine is playing with someone else. Okay, still not that horrible at least I get to do something now. Wait, now I have to wait longer because the person I am playing with needs a rest in between games. At this point I am so bored I contemplate whether or not I should have even come.

          A lot of people think that volleyball and tennis are similar. But really they are completely different. First off, with volleyball you have games and tournaments. But in tennis there are only meets. In school volleyball you only play one game on the weekday (during games) but at tournaments you usually play a minimum of 4 games. In tennis you play 1-2 matches a night, usually putting you at 2-3 hours of time you have to stay there consisting of a game that takes MAYBE half an hour to play. I do like to play tennis because it is different. But I hate going to meets and sitting around all night for nothing. I like volleyball so much better because you get to play more and you can get more excited. Tennis is a quiet sport.

(463 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment