Sunday, January 27, 2013

Leadership


I am part of a leadership program that meets once a month. We go around to different businesses in Cedar Rapids and learn about their start in Cedar Rapids and what their contribution to the city is. This month we were informed that we had to complete a survey before our “graduation” from the program. So today I got online and did it. One of the questions we had to answer was what leadership meant to us. I answered by saying that leadership meant being able to take charge of a situation while still being able to incorporate other’s ideas to reach a goal.

          The last part of the survey asked us to provide a quote about leadership with the author. But I don’t know any leadership quotes off the top of my head. So, obviously, I googled it. And I found a website that had 100 quotes about leadership. I started reading through them and found one that I really liked.

A great leader’s courage to fulfill his vision comes from passion, not position.” —John Maxwell

I really like this quote because it has a really good message; which is that you don’t have to have a lot of power to make a difference. All you need is to speak your mind and get your ideas out there.

          When I go to these leadership days once a month, I don’t really think about how the speakers are teaching us anything about leadership. But how does someone teach leadership? I don’t think you can. I think leadership is something people have to do on their own. And the reason we go to all these businesses is to see how people in our community are leaders in their own way. It shows us different ways to go about being a leader in the community and that we can do anything if we set our minds to it.

(319 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment