Thursday, May 2, 2013

Crime is Pride


As Sophocles wrote in Antigone,

“Think: all men make mistakes

But a good man yields when he

Knows his course is wrong,

And repairs the evil: The only

Crime is pride.”

I think that this statement is very true. I find it true when thinking about life experiences and movies. I think that the quote is trying to say that is okay to make mistakes, but when you do you should realize it and take responsibility for it. Making a mistake is not the problem. Refusing to admit you were wrong is.

When I read the above quote it also made me think of when I argue with someone and how my mom always tells me that it’s not what I said, it’s how I said it. The reason it made me think of this is because it is saying how something you say or do may not sound or be bad to you, but someone else might take offense to it. And if they do you should be a big enough person to realize how that could be taken the wrong way. When the quote says “The only Crime is pride,” it is saying just that. It is not a crime to offend someone. It is a crime to have too much pride and act like you are better than the other person or as if you did nothing wrong.

We see this happen in movies all the time; especially in love stories. It usually goes something like this: Boy meets girl. Boy gets girl. Boy and girl fight. Boy loses girl. Boy and girl make up (usually through friends). Boy gets girl back. (Or vice versa) The part from where the boy and girl fight/ boy loses girl is when someone in the relationship has too much pride and makes a small disagreement into a big issue. But then in the end one of them, “repairs the evil.” They look past their pride and realize that the argument was stupid and that they love each other. And they lived happily ever after.

(349 words)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment